Japan Rail Pass (Covers All Japan)
The Japan Rail Pass is by far the best and most popular pass available. It covers the entire Japan Railways network including some buses and ferries. The pass comes in 7, 14 and 21 consecutive days. Each of these Japan Rail passes is available in Economy (Ordinary) and First (Green) Class as well as child and adult rates. Please note that Japan Rail Pass can only be purchased outside of Japan.
Why you should book your pass with JTB:
- Competitive prices on the websites. Please contact JTB to find the market price.
- Flexible delivery We offer a choice of collection and courier.
About Japan Rail Pass
The Japan Rail (JR) Pass is a special pass valid for unlimited travel on Japan Railways(JR) transportation, including all JR trains (shinkansen “bullet trains” except “NOZOMI” and “MIZUHO” service. limited express trains, express trains and rapid or local trains)*, JR bus company local lines (JR Hokkaido Bus, JR Bus Tohoku, JR Bus Kanto, JR Tokal Bus , West Japan JR Bus, Chugoku JR Bus, JR Shikoku Bus, JR Kyushu Bus) and the JR Miyajima ferry.
- JR Pass holders can also use the Tokyo Monorail
- The Pass is not valid for travel on express bus routes operated by JR bus companies
For more details, please check Japan Rail Pass website.
Choose Japan Rail Pass Below
Enter Rail Pass Requirements
Please make sure to read the terms and conditions below.
If you are a tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sightseeing:
You must be visiting Japan under the entry status of “Temporary visitor” according to Japan Immigration Law. When you enter Japan for sightseeing, entry personnel will stamp the passport as “Temporary visitor”. Only a person who has a passport bearing this stamp can use a JAPAN RAIL PASS. Please note that according to strict interpretation of the Japanese Immigration Law, “Temporary visitor” status differs even from other types of stays that are also for only short time periods.
If you are a Japanese national living in a foreign country:
a) have the right of permanently residence in that country; or
b) be married to a non-Japanese residing in a country other than Japan.
For Japanese Passport Holders please read these PDFs: Elgibilty (Japanese Language) & To compete order we require follwing form to be filled before issuing JR passs: Eligibility Form (Japanese Language).
- Persons meeting conditions a) or b) above are required to email or fax us
a) a copy of passport, permanent resident visa, written proof that you reside outside Japan and an eligibility Form. or
b) a copy of passport, visa, your spouse passport, marriage certificate, written proof that your spouse resides outside Japan, written proof that you reside outside Japan and an eligibility Form.
(Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Fax Number: Auckland Office 09-366-0772). These documents also need to be produced at the time of exchange in Japan. (if unsure, please contact us on 0800-525-725)
- In a rare case when travellers have dual passports (Japanese & Other), unless your valid non Japanese passport is stamped with “Temporary Visitor”, issuance of JR pass will be refused.
Validity for JAPAN RAIL PASS:
- The valid period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
- Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS (for example, an Exchange Order issued on 15APR would have to be turned in by 14JUL). At that time, it is necessary to specify the date that you want to start using the Pass. It can be any date within one month from the date the Pass is received.
- Once the PASS has a starting date written on it, the date cannot be changed.
Although Japan Rail Pass is valid for both non-reserved seats and reserved seats, we cannot guarantee to secure a seat with Japan Rail Pass. If you would like to secure a seat for you in advance, we recommend you to arrange JR Sector tickets. Please ask JTB.
- Delivery to PO box is accepted.
- Delivery and handling fee charge to be added (Courier Post NZ$15.00).
(Please Note: You may expect some delay for Courier Post during the holiday seasons.)
- JTB is not liable for lost or misplaced passes sent via Courier Post.
- **We don’t ship items outside of NZ.
- Refund can only be made with the original JR Pass Exchange Order within one year of the date of issue.
- After the pass is exchanged in Japan, the ticket is non refundable and non changeable.
- Neither an Exchange Order nor a Japan Rail Pass can be reissued if lost or stolen.
- 10% of the price will be charged as a refund handling fee.
- Credit card surcharge and courier fee are non refundable.
- Please read the general booking conditions carefully as they incorporate the basis upon which bookings are accepted by JTB New Zealand Ltd. (“JTB”)